18 Unique Challenges of Inside Selling
A look at the 18 unique challenges of those in the role of inside sales.
If you are responsible for training, leading, or developing a team of inside sales representatives (or your field team spends a majority of time selling over the phone), you understand the unique challenges of selling and prospecting over the phone. Every aspect of selling has a different set of challenges and requires a unique skill set.
To help you assess if you have all the resources in place to support your inside sellers, here’s a list of the 18 challenges they face every day:
- Creating the intimacy of a face-to-face meeting over the phone by learning to establish: Building trust through words, tone, and responses
2. Building credibility through approach to leading the call, words, tone, and responses
3. Enhancing rapport by blindly reading and adjusting to the customer’s communication style, unique needs, and preferences
4. Determining the political structure (the real influencers and decision-makers) without being in the building, reading body language, and interactions among the decision-making team
5. The specific tactics to gain sponsorship when you don’t have the luxury of building a relationship in person
Engaging the Decision Maker
6. Negotiating the barriers an organization has specifically put in place to keep an inside seller from reaching the decision makers and key influencers (i.e., working with receptionist, screens, and gatekeepers)
7. Leaving an effective voicemail message
8. Leveraging social media to get a meeting
9. The outbound introduction (cold): eliminating resistance and engaging a new decision maker
10. The inbound introduction (warm): leading the call and shifting from responding to the customer’s stated to exploring unstated needs
11. Responding to the five false objections a decision maker will use to get rid of a sales rep over the phone
Discovering Needs & Qualifying
12. Initiating and leading a discovery meeting over the phone, where a customer is more guarded, preoccupied, or easily distracted
13. Interpreting the customer’s response- reading the meta-language without the visual clues
Building Value & Online Presentations
14. The unique skills and process to validating the payoff of your solution without making a face-to-face presentation
15. Identifying and surfacing barriers to commitment when you can’t read body language or response to the recommendation.
16. Utilizing online presentation tools to build value in solution and solution provider
17. Blindly managing a meeting with multiple participants
Advancing the Opportunity
18. Specific strategies for advancing the opportunity when you can’t set up an onsite meeting
Have inside sales training questions for us?
We’re here to nurture your team’s ability to find, grow, and convert more accounts and opportunities. Have a question about how we can create a custom training program for your company?
The best way to get to know us is to know what we value. If we teach it we live it, because what we do speaks far more eloquently than what we say. We’ll always choose people over profits, and we’re most fulfilled and effective when we serve. It drives our culture, frames our training programs and transforms the lives of the clients we partner with.